IBEW's need for a huge jug of prune juice [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 2 12:23:49 PDT 2002

Last fall I was asked to teach a two day weekend solar installer course for
a community college that only allowed licensed electricians to attend.  At
the start of the class I was amazed that so many did not understand the
"basics" of series/parallel circuits, current verses voltage relationships,
how to use a meter to check a circuit, and common sense equipment location
concerns.

By the end of the second day, most were on track and I believe could do a
good job with a typical 1 to 4 kW residential system.  I agree with you all
that most electricians still need guidance before taking on their first pv
system, however, I think it is still easier to teach an electrician the
parts they don't know, than to teach a non-electrician "want to be" pv
installer which end of a wire stripper to hold.  The same was true in the
1970's with licensed plumbers verses solar hot water dealers.

We have found licensed electricians still do the best work on our pv jobs,
but we watch them very closely during the installation and meter check their
wiring before system startup.

Jeff Yago
Dunimis Technology Inc.
804-784-0063