roofers [RE-wrenches]

Tom Simko tom at skylinesolar.com
Fri May 31 09:59:59 PDT 2002

 The below is why I pole mount, roofers and PV is like a bull in a china
shop, not a good combination! I was/am a journeyman carpenter and I can
assure you the roofers are at the bottom of the food chain in the
construction scene, and re-roofers are below them! I have been fortunate so
far in being able to always pole mount, I talk my customers out of roof
mounting as I can see it being a pain down the road, whereas the pole mounts
NEVER need to be messed with. I guess if its a surburban environment the
looks might count, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder! PV on a roof to
my carpenter's eyes looks like trouble, and I will only go that route if
there are NO other options.

Tom Simko
Skyline Solar
Idaho

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for the sound advice.  Has anybody experimented with spraying or
> rubbing SPF 50 sun block on modules and measuring voltage drops, just
> kidding.  Most roofers carry an assortment of tarps on their trucks;
> perhaps shading the modules would be the safest advice?  Many roofers
> sub-out the tear off to avoid the cost of a large truck suitable only
> for hauling loads to the dump.  These tear-off guys are used to prying
> solar panels off of homes and placing the panels in the back yard.  It
> is fairly common to get a call from a homeowner stating that their house
> has been re-roofed and the solar equipment is in the back yard and needs
> to be re-installed.  I think I have mentioned previously that some
> roofers think of solar panels on a roof as a pain in the butt, I want to
> make sure its only a temporary pain in the butt.  I think Mo’s
> shrink-wrap over the MC’s is great advice for keeping moisture out of
> the connections.  I just hope this does not make a tear-off guy more
> inclined to just start cutting wires as opposed to pulling connections.
> The tool used for attaching MC’s to USE is not cheap.  So far I have had
> all of my wires inside conduit but it seems like this is more difficult
> to accomplish with so many modules in series?
>
> Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm