Safety at 600v [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Fri May 31 09:33:15 PDT 2002

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the sound advice.  Has anybody experimented with spraying or
rubbing SPF 50 sun block on modules and measuring voltage drops, just
kidding.  Most roofers carry an assortment of tarps on their trucks;
perhaps shading the modules would be the safest advice?  Many roofers
sub-out the tear off to avoid the cost of a large truck suitable only
for hauling loads to the dump.  These tear-off guys are used to prying
solar panels off of homes and placing the panels in the back yard.  It
is fairly common to get a call from a homeowner stating that their house
has been re-roofed and the solar equipment is in the back yard and needs
to be re-installed.  I think I have mentioned previously that some
roofers think of solar panels on a roof as a pain in the butt, I want to
make sure its only a temporary pain in the butt.  I think Mo’s
shrink-wrap over the MC’s is great advice for keeping moisture out of
the connections.  I just hope this does not make a tear-off guy more
inclined to just start cutting wires as opposed to pulling connections.
The tool used for attaching MC’s to USE is not cheap.  So far I have had
all of my wires inside conduit but it seems like this is more difficult
to accomplish with so many modules in series?

Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm