Safety at 600v [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Thu May 30 16:41:33 PDT 2002

I am wondering if any wrenches that are installing high voltage systems
on rooftops are also putting a “DANGER” plaque on the roof by the
modules?  I have noticed sizable danger stickers on the Power Light
Power Guard systems, are these notices required?

My concern is what happens in 10 years from now when a homeowner decides
to re-roof the house.  Many roofers in L.A. have their guys remove and
replace solar panels to avoid scheduling conflicts with solar guys.
Roofers tend to cut every wire they see (typically sensor wires up until
now) and pull lag bolts out with crowbars instead of un-threading them.
I would estimate that 95% of roofing laborers in L.A. speak Spanish as
their primary language.  I think there should be an engraved plaque on
the roof written in English and Spanish to inform people of the danger
potential and how to safely de-energize the system before tampering.

Due to the continuing LADWP PV lockouts I need to install in CEC
territory.  High voltage systems with Sunny Boy’s seem to be working out
the best for a number of contractors that I have recently spoken too.  I
am just trying to figure out how to make my high voltage installations
as safe as possible.

Graham

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com