Lightning Revisited [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters remotech at taosnm.com
Tue Apr 23 01:52:27 PDT 2002

>Hey Ray,
>
>I'm sorry to admit that I don't know where Taos is, but I wonder what
>type of soil conditions you're into.  I've encountered some dry and
>sandy locations, but when I sink a couple 8 foot copper clad ground rods
>into Wisconsin's heavier soil conditions, I tend to sleep reasonably
>well during the stormy season.

Taos is in northern New Mexico, but I work from Texas to Colorado. Lightning seems to be worse here before the storm. Dry soil regardless of the type has much lower condutivity. I place ground rods in planters or near water sources, gutters, etc. I have some customers that actually water their ground rods, especially at the start of lightning season.
I've said it before, but Deltas for low voltage DC systems are not offering alot of protection. Most 12 and 24 volt inverters and charge controllers don't like 100 + volts which is the point that the old DC rated LA100 started to work. The LA 302 ( which is more common) has an even higher clamp voltage. I only use them for 120 volt nom. systems.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com