Lightning Revisited [RE-wrenches]

sunwise at cheqnet.net sunwise at cheqnet.net
Sat Apr 20 01:15:51 PDT 2002

Ray Walters wrote:

> I regularly service systems that are over 15 years old here in Taos,and it
> is becoming clear : PV systems that ground to steel cased wells are NOT
> experiencing Lightning damage.

Hey Ray,

I'm sorry to admit that I don't know where Taos is, but I wonder what
type of soil conditions you're into.  I've encountered some dry and
sandy locations, but when I sink a couple 8 foot copper clad ground rods
into Wisconsin's heavier soil conditions, I tend to sleep reasonably
well during the stormy season.

I've had some lightning damage, but not more than what I consider
"normal" (or not very avoidable).  I use a lot of Delta LA302R's.  At
least one on the DC side and one on the ac side.  I had a techie at
Delta tell me the only difference between the 600 vac single phase
LA302R and their Low voltage DC model is the lable.  So on the DC side,
I'll often ground the white lead and take one of the black leads to the
DC loads (or Battery side of the CC) and the other to the array side of
the CC.  I usually put a second on the ac side with one black on the
inverter output and the other on the gen-set's input to the system.  If
utility is present I see that it has its own and with gen-sets that are
delivering 240vac I give it an independant SOV as well (the delta is an
SOV).

Kurt Nelson

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com