Lightning Revisited [RE-wrenches]

Lawrence Elliott larry at energyoutfitters.com
Fri Apr 19 15:23:58 PDT 2002

Ray.
I second your comments on grounding to the well casing.
I also have never grounded DC neg and have never had a lightning strike.
I believe we are installing in essentially the same desert "soils".
NEC can argue all they want but our soils have esentially zero
conductivity and 8' rods pounded into the ground are useless and a waste
of money and effort.
A well casing gets down and dirty with its bonding to old mother nature
and it works. Period.

I have yet to have a lighting problem with a floated system.
I am not even a big fan of AC grounding of current carrying conductors.
It is my opinion they only serve to supply one more shock hazard.
I would love to see an article in HOME POWER with someone explaining the
virtues of grounding a current carrying conductor and using only pure
logic and physics to prove their point.
I would love to be proven wrong.

Europe does not ground as far as I know except for lighning and I don't
see millions of Germans going up in electrical smoke.

Larry Elliott