Tracker efficiencies - generalized [RE-wrenches]

jeff.oldham at realgoods.com jeff.oldham at realgoods.com
Fri Mar 22 09:15:33 PST 2002

Hi Windy,
Yes, I am including passive trackers. Although I think the design of these
things is one of the most elegant of mans mechanical creation. I just can't
get past the "psychological wrenching" of seeing the sun on the backside of
the array for at least an hour in the morning! I replaced my two about 8-9
years ago w/a Wattsun and have been a lot happier. I work on the Wattsun
about once a year and as you said the Zomeworks rarely ever need work.
However, I, and maybe folks I know, pull them over in the morning and tie
them off 'til the sun comes on 'round. This is a lot like work. In my larger
installs w/multiple trackers they sure look stupid pointing all over the
place and these are commercial customers that care a lot what the install
looks like! I agree with you in that the best application (and probably the
only one) is for water pumping. I agree with Ian in that over the life of
the array tracking is not as economical as a fixed array. In my over 20
years in this field I'I've only had two clients pissed off at my designs
(knock on wood!) and both cases it was over trackers that I could not
satisfy them with. I'm "fixed" in my ways for good now!

Have a good weekend all.

-jeff