Tracker efficiencies - generalized [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Thu Mar 21 16:13:50 PST 2002

I agree with Ian pretty much.  Yes, Trackers are way cool!  But they
break...and they don't track the sun all the time.  Top of pole mounts are
the only way to go but lately I've only been selling fixed top of pole
mounts.

You need to remember that customers buy trackers to track the sun and when
they don't customers aren't very happy.  Also, customers don't like to see
trackers moving in the wind.  Tell them all you want that it doesn't matter,
there supposed to that else they wouldn't track, etc....remember you sold
them a Tracker.  That means it points at the sun all day long no matter
what!

ZomeWorks are notorious for not waking up until they have been in DIRECT sun
for at least an hour.  I have over 10 out there, most of them with the rapid
response plates that don't help a bit, and they all remain stuck due west
until at least 9am and some until 11 AM.  Very disappointing!  It's been a
while since I talked to Zomeworks but it was a real toss up between them and
Pulse for the worst technical support I have ever tried to deal with. Maybe
that's why it's been years since I've done biz with either.

I only have a few Wattsun's out there and they are doing fine.

Probably better off to add more panels but trackers are still pretty cool.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services

----------
>From: "Ian Woofenden, Home Power" <ian.woofenden at homepower.com>
>To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
>Subject: Re: Tracker efficiencies - generalized [RE-wrenches]
>Date: Thu, Mar 21, 2002, 1:59 PM
>

>Hi Baran,
>
>Bemused, curmudgeonly rambling:
>
>What's the warranty on the tracker compared to the warranty on the
>modules? When we do comparisons of tracking vs. fixed arrays, do we
>factor in replacing the trackers one to three times over the life of
>the array? Do we factor in service calls for malfunctioning trackers?
>Even if they are great gear, are they as reliable as PVs?
>
>Maybe simpler is better?
>
>Ian
>
>PS - I realize that it's hard to put a value on the neat-o factor of trackers.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com