Air-X & noise levels [RE-wrenches]

Ian Woofenden, Home Power ian.woofenden at homepower.com
Tue Mar 5 09:12:58 PST 2002

<x-flowed>

Hi David,

>I agree with Ian that the $/rated watt is misleading as a number of
>turbines have a very
>high rated wind speed. The 10kw Bergey Excel (a rugged, heavy
>turbine) is rated 10kw
>at 31 mph. A  more realistic rated windspeed is 24 mph and would
>give the 10kw a 6kw
>rating.
>
>I suggest when comparing turbines to use a common rated windspeed
>(say 24 mph or
>11 m/s). Also compare weight to the new rated wind speed.
>
>Regards,
>
>David Blittersdorf

I think it's not as simple as this, but I'd like your comments on my
theory and experience. I'm running an older Whisper 1000 and the AWP
machine in similar windspace. The Whisper's peak output (and rating)
is 1,000 watts. The AWP's peak output is 900 watts. The AWP's
published power curve shows that it peaks at about 12 m/s (27 mph). I
don't have a power curve for the Whisper, but Mick Sagrillo's HP65
chart shows that it is rated at 25 mph and governs at 27 mph.

The swept area of the AWP is almost twice that of the Whisper, and
the KWH output is just over twice (2.15 to 2.29 X for January and
February 2002). If I compare by peak watts, the Whisper looks better.
If I compare by watt-hours, the AWP is twice the machine.

Do you think that rating these two turbines at 24 mph would give a
more accurate comparison? I'm inclined to rely on swept area for
comparisons between machines. It oversimplifies things a little, but
seems nowhere near as inaccurate as relying on peak output.

Ian

--
Ian Woofenden <ian.woofenden at homepower.com>, Fax: 360-293-7034
Associate Editor, Home Power magazine, The Hands-On Journal Of Home-Made Power

800-707-6585 (US), 541-512-0220, or download current issue at
<http://www.homepower.com>

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm