Winco LP Generator [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Tue Jan 29 16:57:31 PST 2002

A couple of other things to add to Phil's post:
1. Winco offers a 12V DC electric solenoid for their units. I know nothing
about it; it was listed for about $150 on a card of available accessories
for the unit. I have 800 733-2112 and 612 357-6831 for Winco, but they are
old numbers.
2. My unit lacks the 120/240 VAC switch that allows both legs to combine at
120V AC, so to use it effectively with a SW you will need to add a T240 or
equivalent balancing transformer. Otherwise you'll get 1/2 the output,
overloading one of the gennie's legs and unloading the other. It's kinda
hard on gennies.
3. The SW can start a Honda engine; it's on/off/momentary start like a car.
But Phil is right; without a prime on the LP or nat gas I don't think it can
start remotely or automatically. Years ago Windy taught me to discourage
automatic gennie operation whenever possible. In short: more automation>less
user involvement>more problems not caught while they're small. Still makes
sense to this bozo.
4. I got this gennie because one of the case bolts on the can had broken,
causing the rotor to rub the stator, eventually shorting out a winding. The
bolt screwed into a spot-welded nut on the plate attaching can to engine;
the weld had broken, a weak design point.
Allan