Winco LP Generator [RE-wrenches]

Phil Undercuffler phil at positiveenergysolar.com
Tue Jan 29 09:52:26 PST 2002

Allan uses a Honda-powered Winco on his house.  Got it in trade from a
client after it self-destructed.  It sat in the shop for about a year until
he could get a local machine shop to recreate some internal widget, now it
runs fine.  It replaced a very very tired Honda-powered Coleman.

They are sold as tri-fuel units--gasoline, natural gas or propane.  There is
a one time adjustment for either nat gas or propane, with the ability to run
on gasoline at any time.  Some units use a Honda engine, others I've seen
used either a B&S or Tecumsah engine, I can't remember which.  The Honda
units are the only ones worth getting, stay away from the other.

Also, one critical note.  Winco's conversion voids the Honda engine
warrantee, so if you have ANY trouble with the unit you can't turn for help
to the local Honda repair facility--it requires shipping back to the
manufacturer or seller, a point those lowball catalog sellers just happen to
forget to mention.

Electric start, but can't be started remotely/automatically (manual propane
valve and choke ).

Don't forget to derate for fuel source.

Also, if unit stalls propane continues to flow.  We've seen one client rig a
110v gas solenoid to the AC output of the genny itself.  If the genny shuts
off it cuts off fuel flow.

Enjoy the Sun!

Phil Undercuffler
Positive Energy

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious....
the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art
and true science"  --Albert Einstein