PV ground fault protection [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Oct 11 14:03:49 PDT 2002

I agree with John that there are other installation methods for a PV
array that can be used which would be safer and more effective than
solid grounding the negative conductor.

BUT - in Europe they require devices called "earth leakage detectors" on
most installations (AC and DC) which provide a function similar to our
ground fault detectors. This is standard on the European version of the
Sunny Boy inverter.

Installing systems which do not have the negative grounded and do not
include the additional protection of a ground fault protection detection
device can work acceptable - BUT - can also present some safety risks
and is not probably code compliant.

As far as I am concerned - installing PV in North America with the
current generation of ground fault protection devices offered is the
best of both worlds.  It meets the NEC requirements and is safe.  It
also alerts the installer or system owner is a problem has occurred (in
most cases) caused by damage or incorrect wiring.

I have stopped referring to the PV-GFP system as a ground fault
protection system and have started calling them "Bad Install Detectors
(PV-BID)" as that is what the majority of problems are caused by.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA