Applied Power news [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater, Ecovillage Design clrwater at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 18 17:42:06 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Hey Folks,

I feel obliged to chime in here.  I too have been an AEE dealer for
23 years and had visited the Redway store many a time (and the
Garberville store before that) and developed a few long term
friendships with the staff.  Dave Katz once entrusted me with $12K
worth of equipment for a solar concert in Arcata in '78 after meeting
me once.  As many have pointed out Dave is an honorary elder for us
Wrenches.  We are forever grateful to the way that Dave and all at
AEE paved for us all.

And like Jeff Y.  I probably won't be ordering more from Schott in
the future.  I won't bore you with the whole story but the customer
service and shipping department and general beauracracy has gone way
down hill and they caused me much hassle on my last big job.    They
have a policy that you have to pay for equipment shipped again (pay
for the equipment - not just the shipping) even if its there mistake
they sent you the wrong stuff.   i.e - If they make a mistake in
shipping then you either have to wait till they recieve the wrongly
shipped items back - or you have to pay for both sets of items if
you want them quick.  They shipped me 4 wrong-voltage Sunny Boys so
they wanted me to pay another $7k on a prepaid order to get the right
units!  I became not a 23-year customer/dealer but just another bloke
not to trust.  This is NOT the AEE of the past.

I guess that's the price of size and beauracracy.  I wish them luck
but if they want to stay in the game the name of the game is really
supporting the dealers in the field.  For me Bob Maynard (Energy
Outfitters) and Windy Dankoff  of Dankoff Solar have become the new
"AEEs" - personal service, small enough to care and not have outrages
impersonal policies in place.  (...  I in no way work for those
guys... just a plug for the "smaller" guys).

For what it's worth.

Jeff Clearwater
Ecovillage Design

>"Schott Applied Power has completely shut down all retail operations, and
>are concentrating on dealer support."
>
>We also liked working with the folks at Applied Power and purchased from
>them for many years until they became part of Schott, then their dealer
>support and service went downhill fast for us.  I don't pretend to know what
>happened, but things got so bad we finally closed our account.  Maybe
>somebody there finally realized that quality dealers and installers are very
>hard to find, and once you take their business for granted or under-sell
>them you better be able to install all that stuff in your warehouse
>yourself.
>
>Jeff Yago
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Ecovillage Design Associates
Home, Community and Village Scale Renewable Energy Systems

2525 Arapahoe Ave, Suite E4, #280
Boulder, CO 80302
1-800-440-2523 PIN7071
Fax:  720-528-7813
clrwater at earthlink.net
jeffc at ic.org

Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas - http://www.ecovillage.org
Founder:  Ecovillage Research, Development, and Demonstration Program:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/RDD/rdd.html

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com