Anemometer, "Junk"? [RE-wrenches]

William Bryce wlbryce at direcpc.com
Sat Feb 16 09:08:30 PST 2002

Hi again Travis and Todd

I was suggesting a mid level device that would work well for you.  That
would meet the following criteria.

1. Solar powered
2. Wireless
3. Long range
4. Not prohibitively expensive
5. Not custom made

The Davis Vantage Pro  can fill all of these requirements. As for Davis
Instruments producing "Junk" that is stretching it.  Do we  classify
all products produced by a company  as "junk"  because of one part of  a
 product line has a problem?  In that case, then Trace ( Xantrex) would
be in a bigger mess that it is.  My Davis equipment is installed  in a
Class 3 wind area and gets a workout every day for the last year. This
is my third station, and by far the best.  We have owned  a Peet Bros,
and Oregon Scientific station before this one.

As for the reed switch  in the Anemometer.  It is the standard for low
to mid grade stations and some higher grades.  NRG Systems has some of
the Best wind measuring instruments that use Hall Effect sensors or
magnets and  coils to produce voltage for measurement.  We use the NRG
tower and logger to preform site surveys for small wind installs. But
NRG does not have a  station that met the  requested  criteria. I have
never had a anemometer fail in any brand of station,  because of the
reed switch.   I purchased my Davis unit on the "Bleeding Edge"
revision A.  I had a problem with the anemometer floating  in high winds
that prevented the magnet from activating the reed switch.   That was
fixed by the replacement Revision B sensor.

The Oregon Scientific  station is cheaper, and worked OK for us, but we
had many problems that you can read about on the  List that I linked to
on a earlier post.  It also does not offer a  repeater for installing
the sensor high up and away from the receiving  console. Because this is
one of my first posts to this board, don't just take my word for it.
You can find all  information, good and bad, on any weather station on
that list.  Small wind installs are our Business, and we have figured
out what works  here in Montana with our robust winds.

Cheers

Logan

Pine Ridge Products
www.pineridgeproducts.com
Certified Bergey windpower Dealer/Installer

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com