Sine Wave Inverter Noise [RE-wrenches]

info at backwoodssolar.com info at backwoodssolar.com
Sat Dec 29 10:17:23 PST 2001

Chris,
Its unusual for noise from an inverter to affect stereo that severely. But
you said computer speakers too, more than one independent problem, so you
need to check grounding of batteries, inverter, and AC wiring carefully.
Also check with an oscilloscope to see that the inverter output line power
is reasonably correct, no big spikes or other major defect in the waveform.
Also try plugging the stereo into a cord from a generator directly, with the
inverter still running other loads in the house to see if you still have
problem in the stereo.  If the problem does not go away, it is not coming in
the to the stereo through line cord.  Then you look for audio cables that
are poorly shielded or too long.  Audio input cables are the main suspect,
but any long wires from the stereo to other locations in the house should be
disconnected for a test too.  All audio input cables should be short and
restricted to the immediate area at the stereo.  They should be tightly
coiled up rather than extra lengths hanging, and kept away from power cords
and from wiring within the walls.  See that audio input cables have not be
run throughout the house in walls near AC power wiring too.  And the stereo
should be 10 feet or more from the inverter and charge control equipment.

If the noise is being picked up on AM, short wave or SSB radio signals, that
much may be unavoidable, but FM, TV, and tape or CD should not have any
substantial noise.
Steve Willey
Backwoods Solar Electric Systems