Studer 2000 [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu Dec 27 14:23:46 PST 2001

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar wrote:

> What's it's surge capacity in terms of starting induction motors??

The unit I tested was 12 VDC and was actually loaned to me by a local
dealer,  so I didn't want to risk damage to it...  There was some
clipping of the AC output sinewave already with a 2000 watt AC load,
suggesting it was already starting to current limiting .  They list 5000
watts as the surge but I am not sure how they came up with that - no
maximum AC current spec is provided.  This may be able to start up a
large motor,  but the SC output voltage will drop severely during the
process,  risking problems (and even damage)to any other loads operating
at the same time.

I would suspect that the 24 vdc unit would work better in the real world
for starting motors.  When I get my hands on one I will let you know
what I find out.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com