Sine Wave Inverter Noise [RE-wrenches]

Chuck Heath, SunPower sunpwr at jps.net
Wed Dec 26 09:36:54 PST 2001

>I have a customer with a gen-verter system, a pair of stacked SW5548s, and
>he is having real problems with noise (static) on all of his stereos,
>radios, computer speakers.  I contacted Trace and they suggested a
>grounding problem (and have not heard from them since); everything is well
>grounded, even the skids to the generator.  He's mostly concerned about his
>stereo; is there something that could go into his wall plug to the unit?  I
>hate to have him buy a separate smaller inverter just for this load....
>
>Any ideas or suggestions?  Thanks for your time and help.
I agree it probably a _lack_ of grounding. Is his stereo connected to a
grounded receptacle? Is the problem in any mode, or just with radio
reception? If he uses a two-wire to 3-wire plug adapter, is the wire from
the adapter connected to a well-grounded duplex receptacle?

Are the battery to inverter cables twisted together? Is the negative bus
of the battery properly grounded? Is DC bonding at only one location, per
NEC? Do AC and DC share the same bonding point?

You can buy all sorts of AC radio-frequency interference filters, but
make sure you can get your money back. Many don't perform as claimed.

Chuck _chasing RFI for 50 years_ Heath

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm