PV Installer Certification Program [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 20 06:21:42 PST 2001

I have stated before that we use licensed electricians to do all
installation wiring and equipment mounting, BUT we design, size, and furnish
all components AND are on site to show them where everything goes and what
wires to what.  Most of these electricians do not know or care if its a
solar module or inverter, as long as we can show them what wire goes where.

As stated before, it is far easier for me to use their wiring knowledge and
wiring skills (which they already know) to extend my installation knowledge
and design abilities (and save my bad back!!) then to teach them what I know
about solar.

I think any solar certification program needs to realize that there are two
issues and they are not the same and may not always be the same person:

1.  The person who installs the wire and conduit and mounts  the hardware.

2.  The person who knows what wire and hardware to install, where it goes,
and what sizes to use.

Yes, any electrician could learn the solar side, but many will not.

Yes, there are solar "installers" with lots of experience who are not
licensed electricians and can install good and safe systems.

Yes, there are people with both.

I think any attempt at a certification that does not recognize both sides of
this coin will fail

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com