PV Installer Certification Program [RE-wrenches]

Eric Smiley Eric_Smiley at bcit.ca
Wed Dec 19 12:42:47 PST 2001

I teach PV to electricians and most of them recognize that regular
electrical training doesn't prepare them for installing PV, even if
their licence allows them to install it. (I guess that's why they take
the course.)

I think installer certification is a good thing. As an engineer I would
like to know that the electrician installing the system I've designed
understands the equipment and can competently make modifications in the
field. But a PV system is, well, a system. Knowing how to connect all
the components safely is not the same as knowing which components to
connect together, how to program them or how to test them.

Where do you draw the line?

In our jurisdiction there is a Certificate specifically for installing,
modifying and maintaining Solar Photovoltaic Systems. In addition to an
exam, the requirements are either:
1 year of experience (1800 hours) and an approved PV course or
2 years of experience and a code course.
And credit may also be given for work experience as a
supervisor,designer, etc.
These types of certificates are used for elevator mechanics, electrical
appliance technicians, entertainment industry workers, etc. -- i.e.
people that don't need a full electrical licence, but perform work
covered by the electrical code. Still, the emphasis is on meeting the
code requirements, not how well the PV system performs.
I won't say this is the best model for certification, but the
requirements are not onerous. By comparison NABCEP's proposed 4000 hours
of experience plus 160 hours of training seems excessive.

Eric Smiley - Project Leader
Photovoltaic Energy Applied Research
BCIT Technology Centre

phone: 604.432.8657    fax: 604.436.0286
esmiley at bcit.ca             www.tc.bcit.ca

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm