FW: Globalization of electricity [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 18 10:56:40 PDT 2001

Imagine your future and then make it happen. - Joel Davidson

http://www.geni.org/geni97/coldwar.html
Sanyo Electric has proposed Project GENESIS for the mid 21st Century. GENESIS
stands for Global Energy Network Equipped with Solar Cells and International
Superconducting Grids. Even though superconducting power transmission is
still a research dream, Sanyo figures that solar cells covering just 4% of
the worlds deserts would supply the energy needs of everyone on the planet.

http://www.border-tv.com/innovators/innov4/inno4.html
Dr Shinya Tsuda, Sanyo, "My final target is the Genesis project, a global
energy system using photo-voltaic cells. All of us involved with the Genesis
project think a step by step approach is very important. At the initial
stage, we want to make some products which will connect to the conventional
grid network of the electric power companies so we can establish a local area
network of photo-voltaic systems. Then we'll expand it all over the country
and connect such a system to the neighbouring country. Eventually, we can
expand such a system into a global system in thesame way the
telecommunications industry grew.

http://www.atip.or.jp/ATIP/public/atip.reports.97/atip97.030r.html
The Genesis Project is the brainchild of Dr. Yukinori Kuwano, Sanyo director
and general manager of the Group's R&D Headquarters. A synopsis of his
thoughts follow:

The major drawback of solar cells is their inability to generate power at
night, and that their output fluctuates dramatically depending on the
sunlight conditions. These problems give some concern to those who feel that
solar energy is unstable as a prime-energy source.

A Global Energy Network Equipped with Solar cells and International
Superconductor grids (GENESIS) would resolve these problems. A look at earth
from space shows that rainy and cloudy areas cover less than 30%
of the total land mass, and that it is always daylight on one side of the
globe. A worldwide PV power generating system connected by superconducting
cables with no transmission losses (until these are available, high-voltage
DC transmission technology could be used) would enable daylight areas to
provide clean solar energy around-the-clock to those areas where it is night,
rainy or cloudy.

Forecasts are that in the year 2000, energy demands will be the equivalent of
14 billion barrels of crude oil per year. To meet this requirement, 800 km
square of solar cells would be needed, assuming a conversion efficiency of
10%. Barely 4% of the world's desert area would suffice.

Implementing this plan is not so unrealistic. When a large number of people
install PV  power generation systems in their homes and in factories, and
these are connected to the electric power grid, all of Japan will be made
into a network through PV power generation power lines. If the same pattern
is repeated in several countries, PV power generation networks will be
created in each of these countries. Country networks could then be connected.

For example, South Korea and Japan (Kyushu) are separated by 200km - their
transmission lines could be connected. In Europe, electric power grids of
some countries are already interconnected. As a next step, a
plan called "Silk Road GENESIS has been proposed by the Tokyu Construction
Co., Ltd. to construct PV power generating systems along the ancient trade
road. It will include Sanyo and four other companies. The project envisages
the building of a total of 139 100,000KW solar plants between 2001 and 2030.
The combined power generation capacity is expected to reach 100 million kw.

Between 1996 and 2020, when the market size reaches between 10,000 MW and
100,000mW per year and integrated solar cell module cost drops to $1/W or
less, the use of solar cells will find wider application in
private homes, apartment blocks, factories, industrial facilities, and power
stations. Finally, sometime after 2020, the Genesis Project - a global solar
power network - might be realized.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com