PV Grounding [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Wed Oct 17 09:35:50 PDT 2001

Dear Wrenches,

My typical installation utilizes Siemens SP 65 or 75 series modules and
hopefully I am grounding them correctly.  We use 10 gauge flat braided
wire secured across the underneath side of the modules with stainless
steel washers and the Siemens provided grounding screws.  We panelize
the modules in the shop in groups of 4 and a wire lug is installed at
the same end of the grouping that the conduit to the inverter is
located.  A #10 green insulated wire is secured to the wire lug and
tucks neatly under the module and is routed into the small knockout on
the junction box.  The wire is then able to be contained within the
conduit leading off of the roof.  A typical installation uses 40 modules
in ten groups of 4.  The system is split in half with 20 modules feeding
a GC- 1000 inverter.  The conduits from the modules are connected on the
roof with exterior rated boxes.  Inside each box the ground wires are
combined.  So we have 2 ground wires coming off the roof, one to each
inverter location.

I hope this is a good method, the Los Angeles Department of Building and
Safety has been passing our installations but the inspectors are still
learning what to look for.

Graham Owen
GO Solar Company

info at backwoodssolar.com wrote:
>  grounding, only slightly better than the bare copper loops under screws
>  is
> to attach a small al/cu wire lug to each module oriented in the
> direction of
> ground wire. Thus a straight bare wire can be passed straight through
> the
> lug on each module in the row and secured.  A little faster and neater
> roof
> labor, same wire path.
> Steve Willey
> Backwoods Solar Electric Systems