Hot Water Software [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Sat Oct 6 18:53:08 PDT 2001

Hi Travis,

I will try and clarify why I personally prefer to install metal solar
pool heating panels as opposed to plastic.

Metal is a conductor of heat and plastic is an insulator.  Plastic
panels heat water just as well as metal panels, but to accomplish this,
the plastic panels need many dozens of small diameter water passageways
that are more prone to clogging.  Metal panels absorb heat more readily,
so they can have absorber fins between the larger diameter water
passageways, resulting in less back pressure on the pump.

Typically plastic panels are mounted flush on a roof and secured with
straps.  This leads to debris build-up and eventually reduces the
longevity of the roof.  Metal panels are rigid so they can be mounted on
a couple of stringers a few inches above the roof.  This method of
attachment is structural and allows the roof to breath and shed debris.
Metal panels are also non-flammable. Plastic panels are more easily torn
by severe winds and can make flapping noises.

Since the 1990's I have personally installed many thousands of pool
panels, some of these installations were removing and re-installing
panels to allow for re-roofing.  This allowed me to see what works best.
 I work on some very large and expensive homes and my customers want the
best.  I have a sample piece of a new plastic and metal panel as well as
a sample of a metal and plastic panel that is 15 years old.  It is easy
to see which looks best after a decade goes by.

Plastic panels are cheaper to purchase and many people have them
installed in Los Angeles, but I never sell or install plastics.  People
selling plastic panels warn potential clients that plastic is not harmed
by pool chemical and copper will deteriorate.  Most pool heater cores
are copper and many pools are plumbed with copper, especially the older
ones.  Proper pool chemistry will not harm copper pipes in the metal
pool panels.  With that said, I once encountered a customer (85 years
old) that poured a 20 lb bag of shock treatment into his pool, the
product was sucked straight up into the panels and damaged two panels as
well as leaving a purple ring around his pool.  This was one isolated
case.

I installed 8 pool panels last week to replace 8 metal panels that were
installed in 1981.  But with the big demand for grid-connected systems
in Los Angeles I do not anticipate installing many more pool heaters.
At least until the LADWP $6.00 per watt rebate expires.  I am installing
at least one 2.6 kw system weekly.  This week I did Don Foster's house
the writer of the show Darma and Greg and my next 13 installs sold are
to actors and producers.  Having installed solar panels since 1982 I am
noticing a dramatic and exciting increase in the demand for solar energy
in Los Angeles.  I wish I could install more systems but I personally
drill and seal every hole on my customers roofs and these PV systems
require a lot of roof penetrations.

I hope this helps,

Graham Owen
GO Solar Company