Hot Water Software [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Sat Oct 6 06:47:51 PDT 2001

Hi Graham,

I have only installed a few solar pool heaters (in 10 years) and see it as a
potentially good business.  I'll refer to your suggestions the next time I
get a call about it.  They seem like naturally good sellers but.....

At you convenience could you elaborate some more about metal vs. plastic
panels.

Thanks

Travis Creswell
Ozark Solar

----------
>From: graham at solarexpert.com
>To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
>Subject: RE: Hot Water Software [RE-wrenches]
>Date: Thu, Oct 4, 2001, 8:49 PM
>

>Hi  Travis,
>
>I have installed a number of solar pool heating systems in the Los
>Angeles area.  I also use the surface area of the pool for sizing
>systems.  The surface of the pool is where almost all of the heat is
>gained and lost.  Evaporation on the surface a pool can significantly
>reduce the water temperature (thermal mass), especially so when the wind
>is blowing.
>
>What I look for when sizing a system is for three specific site
>conditions. 1. Is the pool in the shade or in direct sunlight during
>most of the day?  2. Can the solar panels face south, as opposed to east
>or west?   3.  Is the pool sheltered from prevailing winds?
>
>If all of these site requirements are positive, I start with a minimum
>of 50 to 60% coverage.  Length of the pool x Width of the pool x 55%.
>If the panels face east and the pool is partially shaded I would install
>100% coverage.
>
>The average pool in L.A. is 15' x 30' = 450 square feet x 55% = 248
>square feet.  Since the average pool panel is 4' x 10' I would divide
>248 by 40 = 6 panels.
>
>The temperature the client wants the pool must also be considered.  The
>trickiest part of most pool installations is how to get two 2" PVC pipes
>and the sensor wire from the pump to the side of the house where they go
>up to the roof.  I also closely check the condition of the roof and if
>the ceiling inside is open beam.
>
>I prefer metal panels but some of the plastic panels seem to have
>improved lately.
>
>I have more info on this web page www.solarexpert.com/poolheat.html
>
>I hope this helps,
>
>Graham Owen