Hot Water Software [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Thu Oct 4 18:49:02 PDT 2001

Hi  Travis,

I have installed a number of solar pool heating systems in the Los
Angeles area.  I also use the surface area of the pool for sizing
systems.  The surface of the pool is where almost all of the heat is
gained and lost.  Evaporation on the surface a pool can significantly
reduce the water temperature (thermal mass), especially so when the wind
is blowing.

What I look for when sizing a system is for three specific site
conditions. 1. Is the pool in the shade or in direct sunlight during
most of the day?  2. Can the solar panels face south, as opposed to east
or west?   3.  Is the pool sheltered from prevailing winds?

If all of these site requirements are positive, I start with a minimum
of 50 to 60% coverage.  Length of the pool x Width of the pool x 55%.
If the panels face east and the pool is partially shaded I would install
100% coverage.

The average pool in L.A. is 15' x 30' = 450 square feet x 55% = 248
square feet.  Since the average pool panel is 4' x 10' I would divide
248 by 40 = 6 panels.

The temperature the client wants the pool must also be considered.  The
trickiest part of most pool installations is how to get two 2" PVC pipes
and the sensor wire from the pump to the side of the house where they go
up to the roof.  I also closely check the condition of the roof and if
the ceiling inside is open beam.

I prefer metal panels but some of the plastic panels seem to have
improved lately.

I have more info on this web page www.solarexpert.com/poolheat.html

I hope this helps,

Graham Owen