Hot Water Software [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Thu Oct 4 15:44:46 PDT 2001

FAFCO bases it on the surface ft2 of the pool.  They recommend that you
should have collector sq. ft. equal to 70% of the surface of the the pool.
That number is based on unglazed roof mounted collectors heating the pool
water directly.

You could do it manually pretty easily as well.  I can fwd. you the crude
EXCEL spread sheet I built to size my space heating system if you'd like.
You'll have to find and enter the insolation values for your area.  It might
not work for you at all but it will help you build your own spread sheet.
You'll have to calculate how many BTU's you need to keep the pool at the
desired temp.  Then calculate how many sq. ft. of collector you need to
maintain that temp.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Solar
----------
>From: "Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar" <windy at dankoffsolar.com>
>To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
>Subject: Re: Hot Water Software [RE-wrenches]
>Date: Thu, Oct 4, 2001, 11:30 AM
>

>>Hullo there,
>>
>>I have need to run the numbers on a pool heating system using solar water
>>panels.
>>
>>I have tried  ...
>

>I talked to Charlie Cromer at Florida Solar Energy Center. He's a
>respected authority on solar pool heating. They have a pool heating
>software package for sale but it is based only on climate data for
>Florida. He says it would take a lot of work by somebody who knows
>the system to work in data from other regions.
>
>He said that the US Dept. of Energy had software called RESPECT,
>which stands for REsidential Solar Pool something. It is 10 years old
>and hasn't been maintained. He didn't sound very enthused about its
>practicality.
>
>I would check with some of the pool collector manufacturers next.
>
>Please keep us all informed if you find out anything, Carl.
>
>Windy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm