PV as an investment [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Tue Sep 18 14:29:42 PDT 2001

Dear Joel,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to acquire and post this
information regarding solar performance and payback here in Los Angeles.

Lately I have been very busy installing grid connected systems in the
San Fernando valley.  When potential customers ask what the monetary
payback of installing solar power is, I inform them that no body can
give an honest answer.  The future cost of energy is uncertain.  My sold
customers don’t care about payback times; they care about having a green
powered home.  Lessening guilt for people who care about our planet is
their payback.  With that said, most of my customers live in large homes
and drive SUV's.  They have worked hard for their money and they do not
want to decease their lifestyle.  The payback on their refrigerator is
not having to drive and pick up bags of ice daily and the payback on the
SUV is added safety for occupants as well as increased cargo capacity.
I do not approach potential customers as a "green avenger" only as a
capable solar contractor who will install a high quality system.

At this time, the true payback for installing solar is that it makes
people feel good.  Most of my customers work in the entertainment
industry and are willing to make an investment in a growing and maturing
solar industry. They fully understand that they are helping themselves,
our environment and enabling solar to become available to the average
homeowner at a lower cost in the future.  There will come a day when the
bean counters exploring solar options see green in their wallets as well
as in our environment.  When they eventually feel good about installing
solar power we can rejoice, and hopefully the manufacturers are able to
keep up.

Just a few thoughts,

Graham Owen
GO Solar Company