PV as an investment [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar, Positive Energy, Inc. allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Sat Sep 22 22:58:38 PDT 2001

Brother and sister Wrenches,
As promised, I have gathered all of the posts on the issue of payback for
solar. There's some pretty good stuff here, from many of you over the last
few weeks.
I'll send it as a Word attachment to any Wrench who requests it off-list.
There are two forms; please ask for either or both. "Edited" is the
four-page to-the-point version I will hand out tomorrow during my Solar
Fiesta talk on grid-tied PV, minus our letterhead. "Raw" is the 13-page
gathered file of all of the posts on the topic, from which the edited
version was, well, edited.

My contribution on the topic:
A typical PV-powered off-grid home uses five to fifteen per cent of the
electricity of a conventional home that has utility power. This is not
accomplished by forgoing modern conveniences: our off-grid home has hydronic
heat, a microwave, a Maytag refrigerator and Jenn-Air dishwasher, a
computer, entertainment system, well pump and shop tools. We achieve this
efficiency by closely adhering to two basic rules: use the right form of
energy for the job, and minimize the amount that's wasted.
If all of us in the US lived as though we got our heat and power directly
from the sun, we wouldn't be reeling from a terrorist attack on "our way of
life". We wouldn't have gone to war to keep our supply of Mideast oil
flowing. We would leave the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge alone. We could
see the stars in the night sky.

Allan at Positive E

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com