Fw: New Topic MPPT and wind power [RE-wrenches]

Kent Sheldon kent.sheldon at xantrex.com
Thu Sep 13 11:12:08 PDT 2001

I must have missed something in this thread. An MPPT algorithm dithers
commanded current based on direction of resulting power output. You can't
max power track a generator. Different animal. On a simple wind turbine the
wind spins a generator (which is commonly converted to DC on the small
turbines <20kW). There may be some mechanical control at the generator
(overspeed trip and yaw for example). The generator has a speed/power curve.
Monitor generator speed, and command power with the inverter. The current
regulator and speed feedback must be quite fast relative to wind dynamics.
The power curve is mapped in the inverter controller. Pretty simple in
theory. Of course, there are a number of tricky protection controls to
consider, and the dynamics of the whole system can also be difficult to
optimize, but that is solved with lots of testing. And wind turbines can
become infinitely complicated (VSVF with MG and blade controls in the
inverter) depending on the design. Chris is right, if you change output
current at the inverter, the generator is still turning. The generator
stored energy will rapidly increase output voltage, which can destroy the
generator/inverter if not handled properly.

Kent Sheldon
Sales and Marketing Manager
Distributed Industrial & Utilities Markets
Xantrex Technology Inc.
Direct 925 245 5463 - Fax 925 245 1022
kent.sheldon at xantrex.com  www.xantrex.com