Fw: New Topic MPPT and wind power [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed Sep 12 23:50:04 PDT 2001

I have tested PWM and MPPT type controllers with both the Southwest Air
turbines and Harris Hydro Turbines and you can not "disconnect" them
momentarily - the stored energy in the windings (i.e. inductance) will
cause the voltage to shoot up very high and will certainly damage the RV
solar products Solar Boost controller instantly.

A MPPT type controller for a wind turbine will have to be different than
a PV MPPT controller.  They are just too different type of power
sources.  One can be open circuited while the other should be shorted.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA