Grid Tie 240 VAC w/ transfer switch? [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Wed Aug 8 18:58:23 PDT 2001

Hi Chris,

What you describe will basically work (maybe a little modified) but I would
advise a different course. The set up as you describe will not allow net
metering. The inverter system would sit there, batteries full, waiting for
an outage. When the outage comes, the transfer switch senses power loss,
and flips to the inverter side. Everything has lost power for at least a
half second as the transfer switch senses and trips. this defeats another
major advantage of the system, that is with the inverter you can set it up
so that the power never drops out.

Here's how I would set this up.

Power from utility comes into main breaker panel (existing). ALL breakers
are removed from this panel, and put into TWO sub panels.

Sub panel 1 is the REALLY critical loads. This sub panel is always powered
through the inverter.
Sub panel 2 is powered through a MANUAL transfer switch. Power can be
supplied to this panel either through the inverter or by the utility.

What this does is ensure that if he is not there, and the power goes out,
he doesn't deplete his batteries. If the power is out, and he want the pool
pump (say) to run, he turns off any breakers in sub panel 2 that he doesn't
want to run (or leaves them all on) and then flips the transfer switch.

The AC1 feed is from a new breaker in the original main circuit panel. This
lets him net meter and charge from the grid.

If he's absolutely set on having all the loads on one panel, then eliminate
sub panel 2, put everything on sub panel 1.

Hope this makes sense.

Hope you're well in Montana.

Jeff

Jeffery D. Wolfe, P.E.
Global Resource Options, LLP
A Woman-Owned Limited Liability Partnership
4 Kibling Hill Road
P.O. Box 51
Strafford, VT 05072
800-374-4494 Toll Free