Grid Tie 240 VAC w/ transfer switch? [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Aug 8 18:38:59 PDT 2001

Chris,
I researched the same thing, but never ended up doing it. We have used
ASCO's transfer switches several times in generator backup situations with
Kohler generators. It should work. By the way, you might look into Kohlers
G120 line (homeowner grade, no bells or whistles) of 100A and 200A ATSs as
well, to save $$$.

You will need a small panel ahead of the main load center, but after the
meter, from which to feed 2P 60A to AC1. As an alternative, you could use a
2P AC contactor energized by grid AC to shut off AC from the main load
center to AC1. And I suspect there are other approaches that would work too.

Allan at Positive Energy