Installer Certification [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Thu Jul 12 20:23:04 PDT 2001

Allan,

First, Thanks for doing this!

I support certification, with reservations, as does Renewable Energy
Vermont. My largest concern about certification though (and I speak partly
for myself and partly as chair of REV) is that we certify the "wrong"
things. I do not believe that we need to be licensed electricians to
perform solar work, at least up through the DC side of a low voltage (less
than 50V nominal?) inverter. I think with some specialized training (do not
read as electrician's license) we can work on the DC side of systems up to
600V, as these are isolated from all but trained personnel.

I think the real value in solar certification will be in certifying us to
do the things that other trades are not certified to do, while not blocking
us from doing some of these things (as noted above.)

Things we could be certified in:
System design
Performance modeling
DC wiring
Array mounting / attachment / general construction related to solar
others...
I agree with Ray that one would not need to hold all cerifications to do
all work. It might also be possible to have voluntary certification, with
advertising to promote certified folks over others. This "works" with car
mechanics, and I think most cars are way more dangerous than most PV
systems.

Also, do not make the regulations for doing AC wiring on a PV system more
stringent than doing AC wiring on non-PV systems. (i.e. in VT we're not
required to have an electrician's license to do electrical work in one and
two family dwellings. We should not need an electrician's license to do the
AC work on a solar system on a one or two family dwelling either.)

Remember too that even a rigid certification will not "chase out all the
bums".

hope this makes sense. It's late and my license to run this computer just
expired......

Jeff

Jeffery D. Wolfe, P.E.
Chair, Renewable Energy Vermont
www.REVermont.org

Principal
Global Resource Options, LLP
A Woman-Owned Limited Liability Partnership
4 Kibling Hill Road
P.O. Box 51
Strafford, VT 05072
800-374-4494 Toll Free