water in junction boxes [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at erols.com
Sun Jul 1 19:49:47 PDT 2001

Just got back from 400 mile trip to inspect a failed one year old 5 kw solar
system installed by other firm that owner could not get working and no help
from dealer (dis-connected phone)  I won't bore you with all the problems we
found including six(6) fried charge controllers, 24 dead 12 volt Daka gel
batteries, no grounding, Sq.D. AC breakers on 170 volt DC circuits, and
three(3) dead dual axis trackers, but thought you would like this one -

Almost all of the 54 PB Solar 85 watt modules appeared to have rust stains
on module backs.  When we opened each junction box they were FULL of water!!
Less than one year old installation had water shorted out terminals and
diodes and was wired in 9 module strings (over 170 volts!).  Installer had
used a Belden "flat" 2 conductor cable for module inter-connects and
compression fittings for large rould cable.  Also the idiot had all of these
junction box fittings on the top side of the junction boxes.  Rain would run
down flat cables and into the junction boxes which have rubber gasketed
water tight covers.

Now I know why Seimens said they quit trying to make their junction boxes
water tight!

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com