AWP machine [Was: Diversion Load for wind generator [RE-wrenches]]

Ian Woofenden, Home Power ian.woofenden at homepower.com
Wed Jun 13 18:12:16 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>

Hi Carl,

I'd like to see the AWP machine tried in a severe site like the
Falklands. I've been very pleased with mine, which has been running
for about 16 months here. We get some heavy storm winds, but the
overall mileage through the turbine is not super high.

The machine governs quite conservatively. The designer's goal is (and
should be) to survive all wind and generate well in good to moderate
wind (not to get bragging rights for peak output at the expense of
longevity). I've been pleased with the flatness of the top of the
curve, and though it peaks lower than my older Whisper 1,000, the
total energy output is just over double (and the swept area is just
under double). Swept area rules.

Hugh has had these machines running on Scoraig, which IS a severe
wind site. But can we trust the designer to give us good info
<juuuust kidding!>? It would be great to have more field experience
in other severe sites. I'm pleased to see that Yanks will be able to
buy this machine now, since Robert Preus is importing them from the
manufacturer in Zimbabwe.

The AWP is a simple, heavy, low-speed machine. Very quiet. If you
give it a try, let us know about your experience. I'm excited to see
it on the market.

Ian

--
Ian Woofenden <ian.woofenden at homepower.com>