Diversion Load for wind generator [RE-wrenches]

hugh piggott hugh.piggott at enterprise.net
Wed Jun 13 23:50:05 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
>Clive and others...
>
>Must say the NZ experience is similar.

  survival ranking on Scoraig is similar to clive's although our
windpeeds must be lower.

>I would be keen to know if the AWP mentioned by Hugh would survive. I like the
>idea of a larger blade with a low tip speed as long as the furling mechanism
>stands up to the increased stresses.

One big advantage of the AWP is that the furling system is extremely
simple, unlike the Proven where it relies on springs and highly
stressed plastic hinges.  The Proven has much more consistent output
in high winds though, when it works right.  If you need continuous
kWs.

the AWP is actually designed for low windspeed sites, and the
production version has some cosmetic changes which made the tail
hinge more compact.  This has increased the wear on high wind sites,
which will be a problem for us in years to come.  I can argue with
awp about things like this but they don't seem to listen.  It's not
going to be a big deal to fix, when they do wear out.

quality control is an issue, as it is with all small wind
manufacturers.  I can't predict the winner on that one.
--
Hugh

in Edinburgh for a week.
http://www.ScoraigWind.co.uk