Diversion Load for wind generator [RE-wrenches]

Darrin Primm primmd at HUTTONCOM.COM
Tue Jun 12 07:25:08 PDT 2001

>In what ways do you consider your application is outside the specifications
??
>Is the unit not sold to withstand the conditions you have it operating in
??

>Carl Emerson
>Manager
>FREEPOWER LTD.  "Harnessing Natural Energy"

Carl,

I can't imagine the engineers designing this unit to spend >50% of it's time
in regulation mode.  It seems logical that they would have designed it to be
producing power most of the time and regulating only when necessary.  I
guess the only way to truly answer this question would be to ask the
engineers.  One fact that I considered when forming this opinion is that I
have a couple of customers in northeast Georgia utilizing AIR 403 units to
assist their residential PV systems in charging large (600+ Ah) battery
banks with no problems for nearly two years.  My guess is that they are
seeing fully charged batteries no more than a few hours per day and thus
their wind machines are only regulating during that time.  Since I do not
live "off grid", there are many of you who can speak the accuracy of my
theory from the position of experience.  The other fact I considered was
that when I changed the units from self regulation to diversion loads, they
stopped nuking themselves.  Thanks to all for your suggestions and
insight!!!

Darrin Primm - Sales Coordinator
Alternate Energy Group
Hutton Communications, Inc.