Energy Smart Products [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dpratt at pacific.net
Tue Apr 3 22:42:54 PDT 2001

The Energy Smart folks pitched me real hard to pick up their products at Real
Goods for about 6 months.  I've tried two of their plug in devices with exactly
the same results. THEY DO NOT SAVE ANY ENERGY! I ran them on a 2-year old
fridge, and on a 15-year old fridge. Both tests were run for one week with the
"power saving device", and one week without it. The same WattsUp meter was used
in all tests. In none of my tests was there more than a 3% difference in energy
use, and when there was a difference, it used more with the device installed!
IT'S SNAKE OIL! Stay away from it, or better yet, keep asking for more free
samples to test, and then throw them away.

-Doug Pratt
Real Goods Technical Editor

"Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar" wrote:

> I know this isn't exactly a RE question but it does pertain to reducing
> energy which is something we all are in the business of doing.
>
> Does anyone out there have any experience with "Power Planners" made by
> Energy Smart.  They are for devices with motors.  Pool Pumps, fridges, Air
> Conditioners etc.   It seems similar to GreenPlug of several years ago but
> they are careful to point out that they are better than GreenPlug.  They
> also have a selection of products up to several 100 amps and 3 phases.
>
> Plug in and save 30%! they claim.  They have some testimonials and data on
> the web site www.energysmart.com.  But it sure smells like a magic black box
> to me.  I called the company and asked some questions.  They said they
> didn't have a dealer near me so I asked about a dealership.  You have to buy
> $20,000 worth of product up front to become a dealer they told me.  That
> pretty answered the black box/pyramid scheme question for me.
>
> Travis Creswell
> Ozark Solar
>
> - - -
> To send a message: