NPCSCP [RE-wrenches]

Mr. Sharkey sharkey at eugeneweb.com
Wed Mar 21 12:51:58 PST 2001

>I'm tossing this out as a discussion topic and would like to know how
>you all feel about this.

	Bob;

	As you and I discussed this week, in the recent past, one could "challenge
the test" in Oregon, that is, study the code and take the licensing exam.
If you passed, you were licensed. Needless to say, the contractors and
unions put a stop to that soon enough. In Oregon, it doesn't matter what
you know, but who you know as far as becoming licensed is concerned.
	If I was going to invest 2-4 years of my life crawling around in
wasp-infested attics pulling wire for a master electrician, I'd probably
just go to medical school and become a doctor and make *real* money. The
current requirements are nothing more than a way to guarantee a constant
flow of lackeys for the licensed contrators.
	Licensing laws in this state bite big time. Of course, if a homeowner
wants to install his own wiring, he needs no license, no knowledge, and no
success, it just has to pass inspection. What I've seen of the inspectors
around here, most of them couldn't get hired on as an electrician's
apprentice, much less be in a position to judge me or my work.
	Another example of kooky licensing is that installers of PA speaker and
computer network wiring need to be licensed for "low voltage wiring", but
an installer of telephone cable doesn't. Make sense?
	You can be absolutely sure that the IBEW will not want to miss out on your
dues if you become licensed for any type of wiring. Conclusion? "Follow the
Money", Salem does.

	-S

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com