Hydro-caps [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 13 15:02:34 PST 2001

Kurt:

For a maintenance free battery, there are two VRLA (valve-regulated lead
acid) options: (1) Gel and (2) AGM-Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries. Most
manufacturers of these types of batteries offer both products which means
that one is not clearly superior to the other under all circumstances.

My simplistic rule is that Gel batteries are good for off-grid applications
and AGM batteries are good for floated on-grid applications.

We see this in industry--telecom applications on mountain tops use gel
batteries, unattended computer UPSs use AGM batteries and virtually all
maintained applications use flooded batteries.

Bill Brooks

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

 michael.welch at homepower.com