Water pumping [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Mon Jan 22 16:19:12 PST 2001

Kurt,

Windy will have a good answer for you but around here (S.W. Missouri) these
type of units are ran with 50 hp or better motors (3 phase of course)
pumping 100's of gpm.  50 hp = at least 67 kw worth of solar.  At least give
the guy a estimate at what he is looking at $ wise for a good laugh.

Travis
----------
>From: "Kurt Nelson, SunWise" <sunwise at win.bright.net>
>To: Wrenches <RE-wrenches at topica.com>
>Subject: Water pumping [RE-wrenches]
>Date: Mon, Jan 22, 2001, 1:50 PM
>

>A question sorta aimed at Windy, but put out for others as well.  Got a
>farmer who is wanting to irrigate with a solar array (or wind).  He has
>an eighty acre field with an irrigation pond on one end and fairly
>flat.  This part of the country does big-time irrigation with pivioting
>sprinklers that will streach across an entire forty.  Some of the
>irrigation units run with water drive, some use a electric motor drive.
>All use motor powered pumps or three phase electric pumps.  I told him I
>would check into the possibility of solar powering a "wind-up" two head
>sprinkler which is smaller.  Each head shoots out about 150 feet in
>either direction and it has water powered drive that winds up the hose
>as it pumps.  He is checking on the minimum GPM and pressure
>requirements.  My thought was that the PV's (on trackers) could be
>grid-tied during the months of the year that they are not pumping water,
>as he does have utility lines along the property.  Have you done
>anything similar or have any thoughts?  Kurt Nelson
>
>- - - - - - -
>To send a message:
> RE-wrenches at topica.com
>
>The archive of previous messages:
> http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/
>
>To unsubscribe send a message to:
>
>To check out the other RE-Wrench participants:
> www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/index.html
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine:
> www.homepower.com
>
>For info contact list moderator by email:
> michael.welch at homepower.com

>T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
>Newsletters, Tips and Discussions on Topics You Choose.
>http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

 michael.welch at homepower.com