Water pumping [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Nelson, SunWise sunwise at win.bright.net
Mon Jan 22 11:50:52 PST 2001

A question sorta aimed at Windy, but put out for others as well.  Got a
farmer who is wanting to irrigate with a solar array (or wind).  He has
an eighty acre field with an irrigation pond on one end and fairly
flat.  This part of the country does big-time irrigation with pivioting
sprinklers that will streach across an entire forty.  Some of the
irrigation units run with water drive, some use a electric motor drive.
All use motor powered pumps or three phase electric pumps.  I told him I
would check into the possibility of solar powering a "wind-up" two head
sprinkler which is smaller.  Each head shoots out about 150 feet in
either direction and it has water powered drive that winds up the hose
as it pumps.  He is checking on the minimum GPM and pressure
requirements.  My thought was that the PV's (on trackers) could be
grid-tied during the months of the year that they are not pumping water,
as he does have utility lines along the property.  Have you done
anything similar or have any thoughts?  Kurt Nelson

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

To unsubscribe send a message to: