UniRac [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Fri Jan 12 13:27:36 PST 2001

I hope you guys are doing Cc's to UniRac on these.

Kurt Nelson, SunWise wrote at 06:49 PM 01/11/2001 -0800:

>jay peltz wrote:
> >
>  I agree that I don't like roof installs....
>
>I haven't done a roof mount for a long time.  Used to do em.  Seems like
>the main thing is to really get it connected to the roof.  You can't
>just lag bolt, you have to thru-bolt them with threaded rod down to a
>spanning member (doug fir, not SPF) attached to the underside of the
>rafters/trusses.  Then, with no flex/movement, things can get sealed up
>pretty good.
>That said, pole mounts seem like the only way to go now.  Problem is
>they don't go high enough (bout eight feet).  I've done pole mount/roof
>hybrid, where-in the too tall mast gets additional support as it passes
>by the eve.
>
>Two thoughts for UniRac.
>
>1) Design a pole mount with a "mast" that can go much higher.  Maybe a
>three leg tower type design (or guyed???) but something that can get the
>PV's up at/above roof-top level, and allow access to any competent
>individual with a climbing belt (incorporated ladder).  Maybe a
>tilt-up!?
>
>2) Attempt to counter the "million solar roofs" mentality.  Every day I
>hear people talking about the need for more "solar roofs".  In fact I
>even hear myself saying things like "we need to install these
>technollogies on every house in America".   Customers think they want
>PV's on their roof.
>   Same with Solar Thermal.  I'm seeing (an installing) more ground based
>solar thermal arrays as well, such as the "in-slab" hrdronic system Bob
>Ramlow installed at the MREA's Renew the Earth Institute.
>
>Go fourth and plant Solar firmly in the earth -- Kurt Nelson
>
>- - - - - - -
>To send a message:
>  RE-wrenches at topica.com
>
>The archive of previous messages:
>  http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/
>
>To unsubscribe send a message to:
>
>To check out the other RE-Wrench participants:
>  www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/index.html
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine:
>  www.homepower.com
>
>For info contact list moderator by email:
>  michael.welch at homepower.com

>T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
>Newsletters, Tips and Discussions on Topics You Choose.
>http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01

Michael Welch

------------------------
"Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top."

			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com www.homepower.com
      Associate Editor, Home Power magazine
      Office Coordinator, Redwood Alliance
      (Not HP mag's #s) 707-822-7884 fax: 707-822-3481

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

 michael.welch at homepower.com