UniRac [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Nelson, SunWise sunwise at win.bright.net
Thu Jan 11 18:49:30 PST 2001

jay peltz wrote:

 I agree that I don't like roof installs....

I haven't done a roof mount for a long time.  Used to do em.  Seems like
the main thing is to really get it connected to the roof.  You can't
just lag bolt, you have to thru-bolt them with threaded rod down to a
spanning member (doug fir, not SPF) attached to the underside of the
rafters/trusses.  Then, with no flex/movement, things can get sealed up
pretty good.
That said, pole mounts seem like the only way to go now.  Problem is
they don't go high enough (bout eight feet).  I've done pole mount/roof
hybrid, where-in the too tall mast gets additional support as it passes
by the eve.

Two thoughts for UniRac.

1) Design a pole mount with a "mast" that can go much higher.  Maybe a
three leg tower type design (or guyed???) but something that can get the
PV's up at/above roof-top level, and allow access to any competent
individual with a climbing belt (incorporated ladder).  Maybe a
tilt-up!?

2) Attempt to counter the "million solar roofs" mentality.  Every day I
hear people talking about the need for more "solar roofs".  In fact I
even hear myself saying things like "we need to install these
technollogies on every house in America".   Customers think they want
PV's on their roof.
  Same with Solar Thermal.  I'm seeing (an installing) more ground based
solar thermal arrays as well, such as the "in-slab" hrdronic system Bob
Ramlow installed at the MREA's Renew the Earth Institute.

Go fourth and plant Solar firmly in the earth -- Kurt Nelson

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

To unsubscribe send a message to: