UniRac [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dpratt at pacific.net
Thu Jan 11 20:07:25 PST 2001

For folks who are concerned about getting to the roof to reshingle or whatever, I usually recommend installing "sleepers".  We did these alot in the '80s for high-end solar hot water systems. Goes like this:

1.Lag a 3/4" threaded-pipe floor flange substantially into a rafter.
2.Install a standard plumbing penetration roof jack over it (the good kind with the rubber bootie.
3. Screw an 8" to 10" nipple into the flange.
4. Screw another floor flange on the top end of the nipple that's sticking up thru the jack.
5. Move east (or west) about 4 feet and repeat.
6. Put a 4x4 redwood beam (or other non-rotting substance) on the row of flanges and shoot lags up thru the flanges. Aluminum or galvanized would work just as well.
7. Install a second row of sleepers an appropriate number of feet up or down the roof.

You've now got a mounting base that's completely off the roof, and any future roofing just has to work around standard roof jacks, something roofers are totally familiar with.

Hal, you could give us an optional "stand-off" kit patterned on the idea above. It could fit any roof/ground type mount.

Doug Pratt
Real Goods Technical Editor

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com