sw quiry [RE-wrenches]

jay peltz jay at asis.com
Tue Dec 25 07:54:05 PST 2001

Hi Bill,

Good point, but:

1. My guess is that nothing is quick with this kind of situation.
2. It would seem to me that a simple software fix ie "removing the sell option"
would allow the units to continue to move and be sold, and they can work on the
intie with a lot less pressure?

I'd still love to know what the percentages are for units sold  intertie vs off
grid?

happy holidays,

jay

Bill Brooks wrote:

> Jay and all wrenches,
>
> Why produce something you can't put a UL label on? The problem is that the
> utility-interactive features must be disabled (not just -- don't push SELL)
> in order for them to proceed with production. You can get those units in
> Xantrex backup power units. I'm not sure of what generator features are
> active in these units, however.
>
> This issue should be resolved between UL and Xantrex within the next few
> weeks.
>
> There is a very significant piece of news--especially for those of you who
> can't stand utilities. An important meeting took place last week among the
> California investor-owned utilities, Xantrex, and us (Endecon Engineering
> working on behalf of the California Energy Commission). At the end of a
> two-hour discussion, the utilities decided to allow the SW units to continue
> operation for another several weeks while additional information was
> gathered on the actual utility-interactive capabilities of the SW.
>
> Some may think this was a minor victory and that the utilities should have
> decided this without any discussion--but nothing could be further from the
> truth. The utilities are clearly in the driver's seat on the destiny of some
> 1000 SW systems in California and could have easily required all these units
> shut down, AND locked out. Once you operate the utility lockout switch, this
> disconnects the critical loads from utility charging source and would likely
> cause the critical loads in these homes and businesses to lose power.
>
> Xantrex and the wrenches of California received a huge Christmas present on
> December 20 in the form of this reprieve. It is likely the information and
> testing forthcoming will convince the utilities that 99% of the existing SW
> system will not require the new GTI upgrade. That should make wrenches,
> customers, and Xantrex, very relieved. (you can thank Endecon and the CEC at
> your leisure). We're not out of the woods yet, but daylight is clearly
> visible.
>
> Bill.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com