sw quiry [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 24 11:06:04 PST 2001

Jay and all wrenches,

Why produce something you can't put a UL label on? The problem is that the
utility-interactive features must be disabled (not just -- don't push SELL)
in order for them to proceed with production. You can get those units in
Xantrex backup power units. I'm not sure of what generator features are
active in these units, however.

This issue should be resolved between UL and Xantrex within the next few
weeks.

There is a very significant piece of news--especially for those of you who
can't stand utilities. An important meeting took place last week among the
California investor-owned utilities, Xantrex, and us (Endecon Engineering
working on behalf of the California Energy Commission). At the end of a
two-hour discussion, the utilities decided to allow the SW units to continue
operation for another several weeks while additional information was
gathered on the actual utility-interactive capabilities of the SW.

Some may think this was a minor victory and that the utilities should have
decided this without any discussion--but nothing could be further from the
truth. The utilities are clearly in the driver's seat on the destiny of some
1000 SW systems in California and could have easily required all these units
shut down, AND locked out. Once you operate the utility lockout switch, this
disconnects the critical loads from utility charging source and would likely
cause the critical loads in these homes and businesses to lose power.

Xantrex and the wrenches of California received a huge Christmas present on
December 20 in the form of this reprieve. It is likely the information and
testing forthcoming will convince the utilities that 99% of the existing SW
system will not require the new GTI upgrade. That should make wrenches,
customers, and Xantrex, very relieved. (you can thank Endecon and the CEC at
your leisure). We're not out of the woods yet, but daylight is clearly
visible.

Bill.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm