PV Installer Certification Program [RE-wrenches]

Lawrence Elliott larry at energyoutfitters.com
Tue Dec 18 17:42:16 PST 2001

If this certification program is ever implemented and accepted as a
reality I will know for certain that our industry has lost its
collective mind.
I worked in the aircraft industry for several years as an engineer. I
worked side by side with FAA certified IA's (Inspection Authority)

These men were certified to pull an engine from a 747, put it back on
and sign off documents to certify the aircraft as airworthy. They could
remove wings, repair landing gear, reskin a tail surface or  balance it
against dynamic flutter (not an easy task).
The testing and work requirements for obtaining this IA certificate is
childs play compared to what I just read here.

Installing PV grid and off grid is easy enough to be performed my
monkeys.Just a little harder than plugging in a toaster.
(exaggerating here I know) but if this goes through we as an industry
deserve to "crash and burn and become a dinosaur"
I cannot believe anyone would be able to write up such requirements with
a straight face. Sounded more like a license review for a heart surgeon.
How sad.

Larry Elliott

Subject: RE: PV Installer Certification Program [RE-wrenches]

Here is the proposal,

 Proposed NABCEP Certification Requirements
for Photovoltaic Installers

SOLICITATION FOR STAKEHOLDER COMMENT

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm