A few things [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Mon Dec 17 13:15:13 PST 2001

Here's some reminders for the use of this list.

1. Manufacturer representatives are on this list as a courtesy. They are here to answer technical questions, and should otherwise lurk quietly in the background.

2. HTML or other text formatting is not allowed on this list. I have reminded several members repeatedly about this and sent instructions on how to deal with it, yet it continues. Don't know what to do. Kind of reminds me of the neighbor that comes over and habitually cusses in the course of normal conversation in front of the kids. You value the friendship, they are good people, they have good things to say, you've asked them to be more careful, yet they continue. Normally, you just put up with these bad manners since the benefits outweigh the negatives. And you explain to the kids that just because so and so does it does not make it OK, and cross your fingers that the kids won't pick up the habit.

3. Do not send file enclosures to the list unless absolutely necessary. If in doubt, don't do it.

4. Please respond off list, directly to the individual, when something is offered off list. Conversing on list is cool, but sending everyone a request when one person has made the offer should be avoided.

5. Please check and update your info on the Wrench list members' web site. Also, some of you have never filled out the forms there. Occasionally, I flirt with the idea of axing those that have not bothered filling out the form. The rest of us need to be able to access your backgrounds.

6. Please track carefully the subject threads you are involved in. Someone may already have responded the same way you would, and "me toos" are rarely necessary. Also, be careful to respond to the subject matter in its context. If you don't recall the original question or intent, go back and look it up before shooting from the hip with your response.

7. Cut back on quoting. Only quote the parts of the original message that are necessary for folks to understand what you are responding to. For sure, delete the message footers from every message you respond to.

Michael Welch

------------------------
"Never give up, but know when to quit."
			unknown

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com www.homepower.com
     Managing Editor, Home Power magazine
     Office Coordinator, Redwood Alliance
     (Not HP mag numbers) 707-822-7884 fax: 707-822-3481

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com