Backup generators. [RE-wrenches]

John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind cvsolar at aol.com
Thu Nov 8 21:37:47 PST 2001

Jay and others,
I am also interested in any comments on the Kohler 8.5 and propane generators
in general.  I have a customer who is getting rid of their Yamaha 4600, which
I converted to propane,  and replacing it with the Kohler 8.5 . The Yamaha
had  starting problems (flooding).  I still suspect that the customer may
have caused the problems by adjusting the gas flow without understanding what
they were doing.  It worked fine for 5 months (Sept thru Feb) before they
started having problems.  They had a generator "expert" look at it and now it
is worse. Now they say they are also having frequency error messages
indicating that it is running slow.   The generator "expert" is a Kohler
dealer.

 I had assumed that the Kohlers must be totally reliable for the price they
are asking.  Am I seeing a thread saying that maybe they are not?   Also do
any of you have experience with conversions.  I usually don't sell anything
that I haven't used or tested but the propane conversion hasn't received my
scrutiny.  I am considering buying back the Yamaha just to satisfy my
curiosity as to the real problem.  I have been assured by the conversion kit
manufacturer that it should start fine if properly adjusted.

John Blittersdorf
Central Vermont Solar & WInd

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com